- Nearly half of the tumors that originate in the brains of adults are a type known as glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) ~ a highly malignant, fast growing cancer that aggressively infiltrates surrounding brain tissue. Even with surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy, GBM is usually fatal within about a year.
- According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 18,500 people will be diagnosed with brain tumors and other nervous system cancers this year, and nearly 13,000 will die. Brain tumors account for 85 to 90 percent of all primary central nervous system tumors.
- Cancer is the number two killer behind heart disease. 560,000 people will die of cancer and 1,382,400 new cases will be diagnosed this year.
- Of the primary sites of cancer, brain tumors rank 9th in women and 11th in men.
- GBM tumors are graded from low grade (Grade I) to high grage (Grade IV). High-grade tumors have cells that are more abnormal, grow faster, and are more malignant than low-grade tumors.
©2015.Cytorex International, Inc