At this stage, Cytorex Biosciences Inc. has focused its research and development on bringing to the market Cytoreg® ionic therapy for the treatment of brain tumors of the Glioblastoma multiforme – GBM type. GBMs are the most frequent brain tumor among adults, since 75% of primary brain cancer are gliomas, and of these, the most aggressive type of tumor is the grade 4 glioma or glioblastoma. Given the orphan character that this type of brain cancer has, and having this ionic therapy of proven preclinical efficacy, observed in in-vivo and in-vitro models, Cytorex Biosciences Inc. took on the challenge of developing and bringing to the market this novel therapy.
Cytorex Biosciences Inc. has developed a series of therapeutic agents based on its technology platform, which is founded on the use of pharmacologically active ions and acid salts, to offer effective therapeutic options, to a wide range of pathologies including:
– Different cancer pathologies.
– Treatment of diabetic foot to prevent amputation.
– Elimination of kidney stones and therefore the reduction of renal colic.
– Treatment of diseases caused by pathogenic microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria and viruses. – Mechanisms suitable to stop hemorrhagic processes
Cytorex Biosciences Inc.’s current therapeutic focus is brain cancer pathology. Preclinical studies in in-vitro and in-vivo models, in glioblastoma multiforme – GBM brain cancer cells, have shown that Cytoreg® ionic therapeutic technology has high efficacy by inducing apoptosis, demonstrates selectivity to inhibit the growth of only cancer cells and demonstrates low toxicity. Furthermore, by inducing a shift from the oxygen-poor environment of cancer cells to an oxygen-enriched environment, it prevents the growth of cancer cells.
- The NCI (National Cancer Institute) defines GBM (Glioblastoma Multiforme) as a fast-growing type of central nervous system tumor that forms from glial (supportive) tissue of the brain and spinal cord and has cells that look very different from normal cells. Glioblastoma usually occurs in adults and affects the brain more often than the spinal cord. Also called GBM, glioblastoma multiforme, and grade IV astrocytoma. The median survival time for patients with GBM is 15 to 16 months in people who get surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatment. Median means half of all patients with this tumor survive to this length of time”
- According to the American Cancer Society, in 2021, an estimated 24,530 new people will be diagnosed with brain tumors and other nervous system cancers this year, and nearly 18,600 are estimated to die. Brain tumors account for 85 to 90 percent of all primary central nervous system tumors.
- Center for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC) published in its statistics that cancer is the number two killer behind heart disease. Last updated on May 1, 2021.
- By the year 2021, it is estimated that around 608,570 people will die of cancer (all types) and 1,898,160 new cases will be diagnosed this year. (Table 1 in “Cancer Facts and Figure 2021” by America Cancer Society)
- GBM tumors are graded from low grade (Grade I) to high grade (Grade IV). High-grade tumors have cells that are more abnormal, grow faster, and are more malignant than low-grade tumors.
“This cancer is slightly more common in men than women and among those with certain genetic syndromes. The rate of new cases of brain and other nervous system cancer was 6.4 per 100,000 men and women per year based on 2014–2018 cases, age-adjusted.”National Cancer Institute.
In efficacy tests on kidney stones performed in In Vivo models, Cytoreg® Ionic Therapeutic Technology has demonstrated the rapid reduction and disappearance of kidney stones, thus eliminating renal colic.
Kidney stones can be formed by precipitation or crystallization of minerals and urinary components. It is a frequent problem worldwide that manifests itself with episodes of recurrent intermittent pain, surgical interventions, consumption of medications that affect the quality of life of patients. Cytorex continues, research and development.
Studies in In Vivo models, allowed to measure both the increase of oxygenation in the blood to nourish the tissues, as well as the hemostatic activity in topical use that allows to interrupt bleeding or hemorrhage to facilitate healing with topical use and its effectiveness in reducing the impact of pathogenic microorganisms in ulcers, Cytoreg® ionic therapy, allowed to clinically prove its efficacy in the pathology of diabetic foot, in a clinical protocol carried out in Venezuela, demonstrating how it facilitates the healing of ulcers. Cytorex continues, research and development continue.
According to the International Diabetes Federation.
- Diabetic foot and lower limb complications are severe and chronic. They affect 40 to 60 million people with diabetes globally. Chronic ulcers and amputations result in a significant reduction in the quality of life and increase the risk of early death.
- Less than one-third of physicians recognize the signs of diabetes-related peripheral neuropathy. The resulting missed diagnoses contribute greatly to the high rates of disease and mortality.
High blood glucose can cause damage to the nerves throughout the body. . Neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes. Nerve damage can be severe and allow lesions to go unnoticed, leading to ulcerations, serious infections and, in some cases, amputations.
Diabetic neuropathy is a disruption of the normal activities of nerves throughout the body and can alter autonomic, motor and sensory functions. Peripheral neuropathy is the most generic form of diabetic neuropathy, affecting the external nerves of the extremities, especially those of the feet. It alters sensory function, causing abnormal sensations and progressive numbness that facilitates the development of ulcers (diabetic foot).
Diabetic foot is one of the most common, costly and serious complications of diabetes. Amputation in people with diabetes is 10 to 20 times more common than in people without diabetes, and it is estimated that a lower limb or part of a limb is lost somewhere in the world every 30 seconds because of diabetes.
Diabetic foot can result in a significant economic, social, and public health burden; especially in low-income communities, if there is neither an appropriate educational program, nor adequate and suitable footwear.
Others lines of research
The efficacy of Cytoreg® ionic therapeutic technology has been evaluated on pathogenic microorganisms causing infectious diseases. The results of in vitro test models for viruses, bacteria and fungi show rapid elimination of the pathogenic microorganism and preservation of the qualitative and quantitative activity of the cell. Preserves cell viability.
Pathogen, in a broad sense, is anything that can infect and cause disease. Infectious diseases are responsible for a significant portion of morbidity and mortality worldwide. Pathogens are ubiquitous in nature and can play crucial roles in ecosystem processes. It is a type of infectious agent that can be a virus, bacterium, prion, fungus, viroid or parasite that causes disease in the host, which can be a fungus, plant, animal or any microorganism. Cytoreg® ionic therapeutic technology has proven to be very effective against viruses such as Ebola and Sars CoV-2. Cytorex Biosciences Inc. is still in the development and research phase.
Given the described therapeutic activity on pathogenic microorganisms, new R&D windows have been planned to seek to determine the efficacy of Cytoreg® ionic therapeutic technology in infectious processes of: